Summer Heat: Mattresses On The Fire Escape
Two hours of hazy, heavy, summer heat songs to listen to while getting ready to sleep on your fire escape or while watching the steam rise from the city streets.
36 different acts in this show, here is some information about some of them:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience:
Jimi Hendrix opened his set at the Saville Theater in London with a cover of the song Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Hendrix was extremely excited for the release of this album. The best proof of that is the fact that he learned the song and performed it live just three days after the record's release. On top of that, Paul McCartney and George Harrison were in the audience that night. It is doubtful that Hendrix was aware any of The Beatles were there to see him, nonetheless Paul McCartney has called that performance "simply incredible, perhaps the best I had ever seen him play." The version in this playlist was recorded three months later in Stockholm.
32nd Turn Off:
Many years before 'Electric Avenue', Guyana-born, England-raised, Eddy Grant was concurrently in two bands, The Equals and 32nd Turn Off. The Equals were more successful with songs like 'Baby, Come Back', but 32nd Turn Off has made its mark as a strange footnote to psychedelia as a Hendrix inspired, psych infused, sometimes funk sometimes blues sometimes reggae rock group with a single record to their name. 'I Used To Be A Tiger' got a single release but failed to chart.
Pisces formed in Rockford, Illinois in the late 1960's. The band recorded an albums worth of material but only released two singles in 1968 and one in 1969 (under the name Bruner after 17 year old-lead singer Linda Bruner) before splitting up after their recording studio burned down. The rest of their songs would not see the light of day until 2009 when The Numero Group released the essentially lost album.
Countries represented: USA, Mexico, Canada, England, Guyana, Hungary, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Netherlands, France.
Inspired by "All That" by Charles Bukowski. Read the poem here.
- 6:00pm Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Live) by The Jimi Hendrix Experience on The Jimi Hendrix Experience (MCA Record), 1967
- 6:01pm Dr. King, The Peaceful Warrior by Archie Shepp on Things Have Got To Change (Impulse!), 1971
- 6:04pm California Shake by Margo Guryan on 25 Demos (Franklin Castle Recordings, Oglio Records), 2001
- 6:07pm Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks on Face To Face (Reprise Records), 1966
- 6:11pm (Would I Still Be) Her Big Man by The Brigands on Nuggets (Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968) (Rhino Records), 1966
- 6:13pm Street Walker by 32nd Turn Off on 32nd Turn Off (Jay Boy), 1969
- 6:16pm Summer Came by Shawn Phillips on Shawn (Wounded Bird Records), 1966
- 6:19pm In The Heat Of The Summer by Phil Ochs on I Ain't Marching Anymore (Collectors' Choice Music), 1965
- 6:22pm Supermarket Blues by Gene McDaniels on Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse (Atlantic), 1971
- 6:26pm Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) by The Rolling Stones on Goats Head Soup (Rolling Stones Records), 1973
- 6:30pm I Ain't Got No Heart by The Mothers Of Invention on The MOFO Project/Object (Zappa Records), 1966
- 6:32pm Kandy Wedding (Ceylon) by Stanley Wilson on Pagan Love (Capitol Records), 1961
- 6:34pm Sam by Pisces on A Lovely Sight (Numero Group), 1967
- 6:38pm O.D. by J.K. & Co. on Suddenly One Summer (BeatRocket), 1968
- 6:41pm Codine Blues by The Charlatans on Nuggets (Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968) (Rhino Records), 1979
- 6:43pm Love Buzz by Shocking Blue on The Shocking Blue (Colossus), 1970
- 6:47pm Thing In 'E' by The Savage Resurrection on The Savage Resurrection (Mercury), 1968
- 6:50pm Dear Mr. Fantasy by Traffic on Mr. Fantasy (Island Records), 1967
- 6:56pm Dear One by Pisces on A Lovely Sight (Numero Group), 2009
- 7:00pm Shoe Salesman by Alice Cooper on Easy Action (Warner Bros. Records), 1970
- 7:02pm She Brings The Rain by Can on Soundtracks (Spoon Records), 1970
- 7:06pm Pauvre Amour (Version Instrumentale II) by François Cousineau on L'Initiation (Initiation Records), 1970
- 7:07pm Gettin' Hungry by The Beach Boys on Smiley Smile (Capitol Records), 1967
- 7:10pm Diddy Wah Diddy by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band on Nuggets (Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968) (Rhino Records), 1966
- 7:12pm Seven & Seven Is by Love on Da Capo (Elektra)
- 7:15pm Enciende Mi Fuego by Los Ovnis on Hippies (Peerless, Eco), 1966
- 7:17pm Eagle's Son by Electric Banana on Even More Electric Banana (Music De Wolfe), 1969
- 7:21pm Used To Be A Tiger by 32nd Turn Off on 32nd Turn Off (Jay Boy), 1969
- 7:23pm Last Time Around by The Del-Vetts on Nuggets (Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968) (Rhino Records), 1966
- 7:26pm The Daily Planet by Love on Forever Changes (Elektra), 1967
- 7:29pm I See The Rain by The Marmalade on There's A Lot Of It About (CBS), 1968
- 7:33pm Vavaccava by Ed's Redeeming Qualities on At The Fish & Game Club (Slow River Records), 1996
- 7:35pm The Way Young Lovers Do by Van Morrison on Astral Weeks (Warner Bros. Records), 1968
- 7:38pm You Must Come With Me by Head Machine on Orgasm (Dogtoire), 1970
- 7:43pm Sandra by La Maquina del Sonido on Perdí Mi Nube / Sandra (CBS), 1967
- 7:46pm Cross Town Traffic by Chico Magnetic Band on Chico Magnetic Band (Free Records), 1971
- 7:49pm Szívj Friss Levegőt (Breathe Fresh Air) by Demjén Ferenc on Fújom A Dalt (Alexandra Records), 1977
- 7:53pm Omaha by Moby Grape on Moby Grape (Columbia), 1967
- 7:56pm Heat Haze by John Cameron on Afro Rock (Tummy Touch), 1973