The Upside: Film 10.17.18
I speak with Orly Yadin, the Executive Director of the Vermont International Film Festival, and Mary Albee, an Audiovisual Archivist and a coordinator of Home Movie Day Vermont. We're talking about the festival, the power of making films and bringing people together, and how we can preserve those stories, for generations to come.
The music mix celebrates movies, including songs by Wilco, Kim Carnes, and Lianne La Havas. Recorded live at 99.3 FM WBTV-LP.
MORE ABOUT THE GUESTS:
Orly Yadin is the Executive Director of VTIFF since Jan 2012, and is a filmmaker and producer of both documentaries and animation films and series. Prior to making films, she was a film researcher on historical programs and in 2001 she founded Footage Farm – an archival footage collection based in London with international clients. Orly has also taught documentary film history and theory in universities in England and at Burlington College. In 1995 she co-founded and ran Halo Productions specializing in animation films. Many of Halo’s short films won international awards at festivals, and one, Silence, was short-listed for the Academy Awards. A Vermont resident since 2004 and a US citizen since 2010.
Mary Albee is an Audiovisual Archivist based in Vermont. She has completed internships at the UVM Archives & Special Collections and at Northeast Historic Film in Maine. She currently works as a Project Archivist for Vermont PBS and as a Cataloguer for the Vermont Archive Movie Project, a program of VTIFF. In December, she will complete a Masters degree in Library & Information Science, with an Archives Management concentration, from Simmons University.
- 8:59am Deeper Into Movies by Yo La Tengo on I Can Hear The Heart Being As One (Matador Records)
- 9:13am Like Dylan In the Movies by Belle & Sebastian on If You're Feeling Sinister (Matador Records)
- 9:24am Au Cinéma by Lianne La Havas on Is Your Love Big Enough? (Warner Music UK Ltd.)
- 9:28am Marlene On the Wall by Suzanne Vega on Suzanne Vega (A&M Records)
- 9:43am The Dark of the Matinee by Franz Ferdinand on Franz Ferdinand (Domino Recording Co. Ltd)
- 9:55am Life On Mars? by Seu Jorge on The Life Aquatic (Hollywood Records)
- 9:58am I Turn My Camera On by Spoon on Gimme Fiction (Deluxe Edition) (Merge Records)
- 10:02am Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes on Mistaken Identity (Capitol Records)
- 10:05am Saturday Night at the Movies by The Drifters on All-Time Greatest Hits and More (Atlantic Records)
- 10:08am Another Day of Sun by La La Land Cast on La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Interscope Records)
- 10:15am Crescendolls by Daft Punk on Discovery (Daft Life / Parlophone Records)
- 10:18am Cinema - Radio Edit by Benny Benassi, Gary Go on Electroman (Ultra Records, Inc.)
- 10:21am Clarke Gable - Remastered by The Postal Service on Give Up (Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition) (Sub Pop Records)
- 10:26am Ingrid Bergman by Billy Bragg and Wilco on Mermaid Avenue (Elektra)
- 10:28am Just Like Fred Astaire by James on Millionaires (Mercury Records)
- 10:35am What's Yr Take on Cassavetes? by Le Tigre on Le Tigre (Mr. Lady Records, Le Tigre Records)
- 10:37am End of the Movie by Cake on Pressure Chief (Sony BMG)
- 10:39am Sigourney Weaver by Bombay on Ritratto di Bombay (Bombay)
- 10:48am Kamera by Wilco on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Nonesuch Records)
- 10:51am Silver Screen by Beat Connection on Surf Noir (Tender Age / Classic Ills)
- 10:56am Bela Lugosi Is Dead (The Hunger Mix) by Bauhaus on Bela Lugosi Is Dead (The Hunger Mix) (Beggars Banquet)