The Upside: Booked (rebroadcast 08.22.18)
This show is about writing, reading, and talking about books with author and host of "Write the Book," Shelagh Connor Shapiro. Shelagh Connor Shapiro's novel, Shape of the Sky, was published by Wind Ridge Books of Vermont in September 2014. Her stories have appeared in North Dakota Quarterly, The Baltimore Review, Short Story, Gulf Stream and others. Her story “somewhere never gladly” was included in Please Do Not Remove, a collection of stories and poems inspired by old Vermont library cards, and was subsequently nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
She has an MFA in Writing from the Vermont College of Fine Arts and is a contributing editor for the Vermont literary journal Hunger Mountain. Her radio show, Write the Book, which features interviews with authors, poets, illustrators, agents, and editors, is heard weekly on 99.3 WBTV-LP and as a podcast online.
The playlist features songs about writing, reading, and inspiration found in books.
- 8:59am A Picture of Dorian Gray by Television Personalities on And Don't The Kids Just Love It (Rough Trade, Rough Trade)
- 9:11am The Last Chance Texaco by Rickie Lee Jones on Rickie Lee Jones (Warner Bros. Records)
- 9:32am Be My Number Two by Joe Jackson on Body & Soul (A & M Records)
- 9:54am Until I Meet You (Corner Pocket) by Manhattan Transfer on Mecca for Moderns (Atlantic)
- 10:02am Paperback Writer by Beatles on 1 (Remastered) (Apple)
- 10:04am The Book of Love by The Monotones on Doo Wop (Argo)
- 10:06am Soma by The Strokes on Is This It (Atlantic)
- 10:08am Bell Jar by The Bangles on Everything (Columbia, Columbia)
- 10:13am No Myth by Michael Penn on Palms & Runes, Tarot & Tea (RCA)
- 10:17am Every Day I Write The Book by Elvis Costello on Punch the Clock (Columbia)
- 10:21am Atticus - US Album Version by The Noisettes on Wild Young Hearts (Mercury)
- 10:27am Ramble On by Led Zeppelin on Whole Lotta Love / Ramble On (7 (Atlantic)
- 10:34am Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) by Concrete Blonde on Bloodletting (I.R.S. Records)
- 10:40am My Blakean Year by Patty Smith on Trampin' (Columbia)
- 10:45am All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix on All Along The Watchtower 7 (Polydor)
- 10:49am Wrapped Up in Books by Belle & Sebastian on Dear Catastrophe Waitress (Rough Trade)
- 10:53am The Book I Read by Talking Heads on Talking Heads 77 (Sire Records Inc.)
- 10:57am Hey Jack Kerouac by 10,000 Maniacs on In My Tribe (Atlantic Recording)