The Upside: KTOG 06.05.19
How is knitting a community activity? How is it not? I talk with Jen Arbuckle, Kelly Otty, and Angela Zaikowski, the owners of Must Love Yarn, the LYS (local Yarn store) in Shelburne, VT, about fiber arts, community, and how it all knits together (get it?). This conversation sets us up for the World Wide Knit in Public Day, this Saturday, June 8th.
The second hour features an eclectic playlist of songs with themes of knitting, knotting, sweaters and wool, including Sufjan Stevens, Sophie Madeleine, Bjork, and The Greyboy Allstars.
A practicing healthcare architect for 25+ years and a voracious knitter, Jen Arbuckle balances her two work passions with her love of gardening and travel and a little volunteer work on the side. As an almost life-long Vermonter, she loves that being one of the co-owners at Must Love Yarn gives us the opportunity to build a knitting community that includes other knitters and farmers and fiber-lovers of all kinds.
Kelly Otty is currently manager and one of three co-owners at Must Love Yarn. She enjoys teaching knitting & crochet and especially loves to teach people who are new to these fiber arts. As a Vermonter from many generations and a graduate of UVM’s College of Agriculture, she appreciates working with the local shepherds who provide Must Love Yarn with gorgeous, locally produced wool yarns.
Angela Zaikowski is a practicing attorney who has found her creative outlet with knitting and as a co-owner of Must Love Yarn. Although she has a more behind the scenes role in running the business, you can find her on the weekly Must Love Yarn podcast where her knitting and yarn shenanigans are shared with the community. She is a self-taught knitter who can be found knitting away at various sporting events and meetings.
- 8:58am Waltz in Sweaters by Sean Angus Watson on If I'm Gonna See You (Sean Angus Studios)
- 9:02am Knit One Purl Two by Glen Miller on Glen Miller from A to Z, Vol. 6 (Wnts)
- 9:05am The Knitting Song by Liz Simcock on Friday Night Train Home (Leticia Records)
- 9:20am V Neck Sweater by The Greyboy Allstars on What Happened to Television? (Knowledge Boom Recordings)
- 9:42am The Knitting Song by Sophie Madeleine on Love. Life. Ukulele. (Xtra Mile Recordings Ltd.)
- 9:55am Undone (The Sweater Song) by Weezer on Weezer (DGC Records)
- 10:05am A Field of Birds by The Tallest Man on Earth on Good People Rock (Yellow Bird Project) (Yellow Bird Project)
- 10:08am Embroidery by Casey Deinel on Wind-Up Canary (HUSH Records)
- 10:15am Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo on I Can Hear The Heart Being As One (Matador Records)
- 10:21am Stitch the Hem by Bowerbirds on The Clearing (Dead Oceans)
- 10:24am Knitting (feat. Christine Lavin) by Robyn Landis on Waterproof (Brave Hearts Music)
- 10:30am Wool Sweaters and Early Mornings (feat. Juan) by Ibrahim on Wool Sweaters and Early Mornings (Off the Jump)
- 10:34am Sweater Collection by Lo Lo on Sweater Collection - Single (Lo Lo - Self-Released)
- 10:37am Woolen Mittens by Tomppabeats on Harbor (Vinyl Digital)
- 10:38am Unravel by Bjork on Homogenic (Elektra)
- 10:41am Sister by Sufjan Stevens on Seven Swans (Sounds Familyre)
- 10:46am All I Want by Joni Mitchell on Blue (Reprise)
- 10:50am Cashmere Sweater by Sultan + Shepard on Cashmere Sweater (Armada Music)
- 10:54am Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood on I Love You. (Columbia Records)
- 10:58am Davy Crochet by The Backseat Lovers on When We Were (The Backseat Lovers)