The Upside: Body of Work (re-broadcast 01.30.19)
This is a re-broadcast of my interview with writer Emily Bernard of January 30th.
I speak with Emily Bernard - the author of a new collection of essays: Black is the Body: Stories from My Grandmother's Time, My Mother's Time, and Mine. We are talking about writing, book launches, identity, motherhood, friendship, and more.
The music selections are inspired by the book, and feature songs of relationships, home, and personal journeys by Jill Scott, Wilco, Esperanza Spalding, and Akalé Wubé.
More about Emily:
Emily Bernard is the Julian Lindsay Green and Gold Professor of English at the University of Vermont. Her collection of essays, Black is the Body: Stories from My Grandmother’s Time, My Mother’s Time, and Mine, was released on January 29, 2019. Learn more at emilybernard.com
- 9:00am I've Got You Under My Skin by Oscar Peterson on Oscar Peterson Plays the Cole Porter Songbook (Verve Records)
- 9:01am The Waters of March by Susannah McCorkle on Jazz Moods: Sounds of Spring (Concord Records)
- 9:05am Nightshift by Commodores on Nightshift (Motown Records)
- 9:10am God Shiva by Meshelle Nedgeocello on Peace Beyond Passion (Maverick Recording Company)
- 9:35am The Eagle and Me by Shirley Horn on Songs of Lost Love By Shirley Horn (Fresh Sound Records)
- 10:10am We Were Rock & Roll by Janelle Monae on The Electric Lady (Wondaland Records)
- 10:28am This Isn't Our Parade by Santigold on Master of My Make Believe (Atlantic)
- 10:31am I'm Every Woman by Chaka Khan on Epiphany: The Best of Chaka Khan Vol. 1 (Reprise Records)
- 10:35am Family Reunion by Jill Scott on Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2 (Hidden Branch Records)
- 10:40am Every Ghetto, Every City by Lauren Hill on The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (Columbia)
- 10:45am A Place Called Home by PJ Harvey on Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (Universal Island Records, Ltd.)
- 10:49am Girl Can't Be Herself by Alicia Keys on HERE (RCA Records)
- 10:52am I'm the Man Who Loves You by Wilco on Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (Nonesuch Records)
- 10:56am Anbessa by Akalé Wubé, Manu Dibango on Beyond Addis 02: Modern Ethiopian Dance Grooves Inspired By Swinging Addis (Trikont)