The Upside: Rhythm 07.24.19
Today's show is all about rhythm! I speak with Stuart Paton, drummer and Burlington Taiko founder, about the Japanese taiko and playing the drums in community. We're joined by Carol Bowles, Burlington Taiko community member and Dragon Heart Vermont team member, to talk about the Lake Champlain Dragon Boat Festival, at which Burlington Taiko will be performing.
Music with strong drums and rhythms keeps the beat going with tracks from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, CAN, and Los Papines.
Stuart Paton, Founder and Artistic Director of Burlington Taiko spent most of his childhood in Japan, from age nine months through eighteen years. His earliest exposure to taiko included a first-grade fascination with the drums at an Obon celebration in Tokyo, and learning "Matsuri Daiko" from the composer of the score for his high school drama production. His formal study of taiko began in 1984 during a summer apprenticeship with Grandmaster Seiichi Tanaka, the founder of the first taiko group in North America (San Francisco Taiko Dojo), and he founded the Burlington Taiko Group in 1986 not long after settling in Vermont.
Stuart is also an active student, teacher, and performer of Cuban and Haitian congas and djembe, performing with Mal Maiz and The Bruce Sklar/Dave Grippo Sextet.
Carol Bowles is a Burlington Taiko student and a member of Dragon Heart Vermont.
- 8:59am Hiryu Sandan Gaeshi by Taiko Drum Ensemble on Soh Daiko (Lyrichord Discs Inc.)
- 9:18am Hurū Hurū by Mal Maiz on Historia de un Immigrante (Mal Maiz)
- 9:33am Drummers of Taiko by Taiko Drums: Music of Japan on Taiko Drums: Music of Japan (Time Machine Records)
- 9:49am Baila mu Yambú by Los Papines on Rumba Cubana (Bismusic)
- 9:53am Dinner at Eight by Wayne Horvitz on This New Generation (Nonesuch Records)
- 9:54am The Educators by Up, Bustle & Out on Rebel Radio Master Sessions Vol.1 (Ninja Tune)
- 10:03am Taiko by Japanese Taiko Drums on Japanese Drums (New Earth Records)
- 10:07am Taiko Shuffle by Jeff van Dyck on Shogun II: Total War (Original Soundtrack) (SEGA Corporation)
- 10:10am Street Sounds by Charlie Hunter, Mos Def on Songs From the Analog Playground (Blue Note Records)
- 10:17am Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo on I Can Hear The Heart Being As One (Matador Records)
- 10:22am Drumming Song by Florence + The Machine on Lungs (Deluxe Edition) ( Universal Island Records)
- 10:26am Vitamin C - 2004 Remastered Version by CAN on Ege Bamyasi (Remastered Version) (Spoon Records)
- 10:29am Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs on Fever To Tell (Interscope)
- 10:36am Wipe Out by The Surfaris on Play (UMG Recordings)
- 10:38am Double Beat by US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps on With PRide (Altissimo!)
- 10:40am The Hardest Button to Button by The White Stripes on Elephant (V2)
- 10:43am Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney on Dig Me Out (Remastered) (Sub Pop Records)
- 10:49am Jingo by Santana on Santana (Legacy Edition) (Atlantic Recording Corp)
- 10:53am The Glamorous Life - Club Edit by Sheila E. on The Glamorous Life (Warner Bros.)